I love beets and kale.
But when we get them almost every week of the summer as a part of our CSA box… well, I had to get a little creative. So here’s a veggie-topped pizza for your using-up-all-the-vegetable needs!
Do you have a favorite beet or kale recipe that keeps them interesting throughout the summer?
Ingredients (makes 2 pizzas)
- Pizza dough (I used this thin crust pizza recipe from the kitchn)
- 2 large beets
- 1 onion
- 1 bunch of kale
- 1 medium yellow summer squash
- 8 oz. (1 log) goat cheese
- 8 oz. (1 bag) shredded mozzarella
- Fresh basil to taste
- Cut beets in half, then slice and steam until almost ready to eat
- Over medium-high heat, stir-fry onion, kale, and summer squash until slightly crisp. Got more vegetables to use up? Throw ’em in here!
- Prepare your pizza pan: use a pizza stone, or a flat baking sheet with a thin layer of oil and flour or cornmeal
- Roll out your pizza dough and place on the pan
- Spread stir-fried vegetables (onion, kale, squash) in an even layer on dough, then place the beet slices
- Crumble goat cheese and sprinkle mozzarella
- Bake for ~10 minutes, or until crust is crispy and cheese is browned
- In the last minute of baking, top with diced fresh basil as desired (in case you’re checking the photos, I added the basil before baking, but this made it come out a little toasty at the end, so I’d recommend you put it in later)